Modifying Your House Plan
When shopping for house plans, a future homeowner often finds a plan that is well-suited to his or her needs, but realizes that making a few changes would create the PERFECT house plan. We offer a modification service that will work with you to modify your preferred house plan by incorporating the changes you desire to accommodate your lifestyle and needs. This provides a cost-effective way to create the home of your dreams. Typically, our home plan modification service can make the necessary changes for you. (NOTE: Our modification team will modify house plans as well as garage plans found on this site.)
Below is a list of some of the most common home plan modifications:
- Converting the exterior wall framing to another type (i.e. 2x4 to 2x6)
- Changing the foundation type (i.e. basement to crawl space
- Enlarging an existing garage or adding a garage to a home without changing the garage door location (i.e. front to side)
- Adding or removing square footage
- Modifying the exterior such as adding a porch or dormers, or changing the exterior finish
- Adding a bonus room above the garage
- Reversing the floor plan (right reading reverse)
- Redesigning the kitchen layout
- Modifying the floor plan for handicap accessibility
Some common modifications that we cannot offer include:
- Combining two house plans into one new house plan (due to copyright laws)
- Adapting a home plan to meet local building codes
- Engineering a house plan to meet local building codes
Follow these steps to modify your desired home plan:
- Decide what changes you want to make to your house plan. Be sure to consider lifestyle, needs, lot size, etc.
- Complete and submit the modification request form to receive a free quote for your changes. When describing your changes, be as specific as possible. If the floor plan refers to the “master suite”, use “master suite” when describing your changes. Describe your changes with specific details as if you are looking at the floor plan from the front of the house. Include directional wording such as, “on the right side”, “along the back wall”, and “on the lower level.” Provide a labeled sketch of your changes if possible. When available, provide specific measurements or dimensions. Use “width” when referring to measurements running left to right and “depth” when referring to measurements running front to back.
- The modification team will email your quote directly to you within 2-3 business days. It will list the modification costs for the changes specified on your modification request form, the cost for the reproducible master, PDF or CAD file needed to legally modify the original, copyrighted blueprint, and shipping fees when applicable.
- Follow the steps and instructions listed in your emailed quote to place your order for the reproducible master, PDF or CAD file and arrange payment for your modifications to move forward with your modification project.
- Approve preliminary sketches of your specified changes provided by the modification team. NOTE: Any extra modifications requested after your original changes have been submitted will incur additional charges.
- After you approve the preliminary drawings, the modification team will make your changes to the construction drawings. The modified blueprints will be shipped or emailed directly to you upon completion.
- Plans are drawn to meet national building codes. Our modification team cannot draw the plans to meet any specific building codes. We do not guarantee that the revisions will meet your local building codes. It is recommended that you hire a local engineer/architect review the plans to ensure they comply with your city, county, or state building codes.
- Time and cost estimates are good for 30 days.
- All modification requests must be submitted in writing. Verbal requests are not accepted and will not be quoted.
For FAST service, please follow these two easy steps.
- Download the modification request form.
- E-mail the completed form and sketches to firstname.lastname@example.org.